Any Mexican food lover should try this juicy pork roast recipe at home: spicy oven baked meat with a fresh bean salsa
For the roasted pork
- Pork 1,2 kg, lean, e. g. shoulder without the crust
- Rosemary 15 ml, fresh, chopped
- Thyme 15 ml, fresh, chopped
- Orange 1, organic, juiced and zest grated
- Sherry 60 ml
- Olive oil 75 ml
- Meat stock 250 ml
- Butter 30 g
- Honey 30 ml
- Oregano 5 ml, dried
- Paprika 15 ml powder
- Curry 5 ml powder
- Salt To taste
- Black pepper To taste, ground
For the bean salsa
- Red onion 1, diced
- White beans 150 g, small, tinned, drained and rinsed
- Green beans 150 g, large, tinned, drained and rinsed
- Sweet corn 200 g, tinned, drained (or corn kernels)
- Tomato 1, beefsteak kind, peeled and diced
- Red bell pepper ½, diced
- Green bell pepper ½
- Yellow bell pepper ½
- Lemon juice form 1 lemon
- Brown sugar 5 ml
- Olive oil 45 ml
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Main course
- Recipe yield 4
- Recipe cuisine Mexican
Season the meat with salt and ground black pepper.
Mix together the rosemary and thyme with the grated orange zest, 15 ml of sherry and 30 ml of olive oil.
Brush the meat with the mixture, cover and allow to marinate overnight.
Heat the oven to 180°C (160° in a fan oven) 375°F, gas 5.
Heat 45 ml of olive oil in a large skillet and fry the meat on all sides.
Add the orange juice and the rest of the sherry and roast in the oven for approx. 90 minutes.
While the meat is cooking, baste it every so often with its own juice and the meat stock.
Melt the butter and honey together and stir in the oregano, paprika and curry powder.
Brush the meat with this mixture during the last 20 minutes cooking time.
Place all the vegetables in a bowl and stir in the lemon juice and the sugar and let steep for approx. 20 minutes.
Finally add the olive oil and season with salt and ground black pepper.
Cut the meat in slices and serve with the salsa.